Discover more from Femstreet
FemStreet Issue #2 - September 10, 2017
Your weekly newsletter on women in VC, female founders, operators and femtech startups
FemStreet - Issue #2
👋🏻Welcome to this week's FemStreet22!
I hope you all have recovered from Burning Man or at least from the picture overload on your Instagram feed.
In case you missed the first issue from last week, you can read it here. Thanks to the the nearly 150 ladies and gents!!! that signed up in the first week. Comments, questions, tips? Annoyed by the light pink background? Send me a note!
Here is what people were talking about in the wonderful 🌠Fem-universe 🌠 this week:
'There is plenty of room in the world for mediocre men, but there is no room for mediocre women.’ - Madeleine Albright
TIME presents FIRSTS: 46 women who are changing the world
Women in VC💸
- Venture Capitalist: A strong woman's job - an interview with Anna Boffeta, Associate at Balderton Capital and co-founder of Diversity VC, an organisation which aims to create a fairer and more representative venture capital industry.
- Raising the ratio 👩🏽 - Women investors are gaining sustained influence on the world of investing. Here are the 50 women investors with enviable investment portfolio.
- This week, I have been introduced to Tiffany Young, Investor at AllBright, a platform supporingt the most promising female entrepreneurs. Tiffany regularly meets inspiring female founders and investors for breakfast. Check out her latest interview from July with Nicola McClafferty, Investment Director at Draper Esprit - The New Model of Venture Capital.
Female founders 👩🏽
- A Google sheet with 60 investors supporting female, POC or LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) entrepreneurs in the US or UK
- How women in tech can handle or avoid challenges
- Women in Business Q&A: Shanna Tellerman, Founder and CEO, Modsy. Before founding Modsy, Shanna was a partner on the investing team at Google Ventures.
- Female Founder Wendi Burkhardt, Cofounder/CEO of Silvernest, on embracing chaos from start-up to scale-up
- Andrea Barrica, Founder of O.school and former Venture Partner at 500Startups on Kicking Ass and Taking Names: 11 Networking Tips from an Introverted Founder
Featured FemTech Startups ⚕👩
- Ava is a sensor bracelet that measures nine physiological parameters and thus predicts a woman's next fertile window.
- Could an algorithm replace the pill? I have followed the swedisch startup NaturalCycles for some time. It is the first app approved for use in the European Union as a contraceptive using a unique algorithm to monitor female fertility.
- You keep forgetting to take your pill? Berlin based Clue is an app built on machine learning to track a woman’s monthly menstrual cycle. Clue has more than 5M users and and a new feature for “Smart Pill Tracking”.
- The Women in Angel Investing Summit 2017 takes place on September 19th in London.
- You can still sign up for the Female Tech Leaders Speaker Night in Munich on September 19th
- EDITION F hosts the FEMALE FUTURE FORCE Insights event on Sept 28th in Berlin
- Ada's List - Moving women in Tech forward together - Conference on Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at Imperial College London
Off topic but #GoodReads
- Since I am regular in Stockholm, I enjoyed reading this piece by Mattias Ljungman, Partner at Atomico: 'Turning $100M exits into $100B exits: The challenges and opportunities facing Sweden as a tech hub'
- So honest and good: Fear and the Venture Capitalist by Fred Destin
- Crypto ICOs have raised more than $1.2B for startups, surpassing venture capital activity for 2017 — and that number is already out of date by at least $500M. What Happens After the ICOs?
One last thing...
Ask yourself: What is my TARGET for the week? - Write down the top 3 things you want to achieve the upcoming week even if this just means moving from blue to yellow...
Stay focused and extra sparkly!